Neist Point

Lighthouses of the Inner Hebrides

In Salutem Omnium
For the Safety of All
Neist Point - Isle of Skye
Flag of Scotland
© Composted by:
Bob Schrage
updated: 05-01-2019

Fladda



Description 19th cent. Small circular tower. 1-storey keepers' houses (double-ridged roof; slated; skew-gabled). Boundary wall. All lime-washed. Statement of Special Interest Unmanned - became an automatic light in 1956.

Fladda is one of the Slate Islands, off the west coast of Argyll and Bute, Scotland. Fladda is an islet in the Sound of Luing, between Luing and Belnahua. The name Fladda originates from the Old Norse for 'flat island'.

Fladda lighthouse is an active lighthouse located on the Islet of Fladda, one of the Slate Islands about 1.8 kilometers off Cullippol. The lighthouse was built in 1860 on project by David A. and Thomas Stevenson; it is a cylindrical masonry tower 13 meters high with gallery and lantern. The tower is painted white, the lantern is black and has ochre trim; it is a minor light operated by Northern Lighthouse Board but managed privately. The light emits a two white flashes every 9 seconds. The keeper’s house seems to be home to a large colony of terns.



A4190

Character: Fl(2) WRG 9s 13m 11-9M
(fl. 0.4s - ec. 1.6s)

EngineerDavid Lillie Stevenson (1815-1886)
Thomas Stevenson (1818-1887)

Lat, Lon56°14.899' N, 05°40.830' W

Established1860
Automated1956
CharacterFlashing(2) WRG every 9 secs.
RangeW 20.3 km / 11nM - R/G 16.6 km / 9 nM
Tower13 meters
Elevation13 meters above sea level
Fog horn?

StatusOperational
AuthorityNorthern Lighthouse Board
RemarksCat.B - nr: 11588 - 20/07/1971

Fladda lighthouse
Fladda lighthouse
Fladda lighthouse
Fladda map
References:

xxxxx- xxxxx