Port Patrick

Light's of the Southwest Coast of Scotland

In Salutem Omnium
For the Safety of All
Holy Isle near Arran
Flag of Scotland
© Composted by:
Bob Schrage
updated: 03-10-2018

Cloch Point



Description Robert Stevenson, Engineer (Thomas Smith (Engineer in charge) 1796-7. White circular tower with black band, 84' above water level; Gothic detail; ancillary buildings one to two storey, mainly later in date.

Cloch Point (Scottish Gaelic: stone) is a point on the coast of the Firth of Clyde, Scotland. There has been a lighthouse since 1797 to warn vessels off The Gantocks. Cloch Point lies on the A770, north of Inverkip, three miles south west of Gourock, on the east shore of the Firth of Clyde, directly opposite Dunoon.

The Cloch Lighthouse was designed under engineer in charge Thomas Smith and his son-in-law Robert Stevenson. Building was completed in 1797. There appear to be two generations of keepers' houses, the older now used as stores and the more recent having crow-stepped gables. The short circular-section tower has a corbelled walkway and triangular windows. The foghorns were added between 1895 and 1897.

The light was built by John Clarkson (engineer); Kermack and Gall built the tower, while Smith and Stevenson installed the oil lantern which was first lit on 11 August 1797. The light was replaced in 1829 with an argand lamp and silvered reflector. About 1900, it was lit with acetylene. A Radar beacon was installed about 1931.

Cloch Point

The dioptric and catadioptric lenses floated in baths of mercury, and were rotated by a clockwork mechanism powered by falling weights. As well as tending the light, the keepers had to wind the mechanism by hand every two to three hours.

Today, the light is fully automated and unmanned. The main light has been replaced by a light on a pole outside the lantern room.

Cloch Point lies north of Inverkip, three miles south west of Gourock, on the east shore of the Firth of Clyde, opposite Dunoon. Cloch Point LighthouseThe Cloch lighthouse is on the shore of the Firth of Clyde, at the point where the river turns from flowing west to a southerly direction into the estuary and then the open sea. It was thus a well-known landmark for many who left Scotland to emigrate to around the world - and a welcome sight for travellers returning to Scotland. The name Cloch (you need to be a Scot - or maybe German - to be able to get the "och" properly!) comes from the Gaelic word for stone. The lighthouse was designed by Thomas Smith and his son-in-law Robert Stevenson, to warn boats away from The Gantocks, a dangerous reef of rocks or skerry directly west of the point. Building was completed in 1797. There were two generations of keepers' houses, the older now used as stores and the more recent having crow-stepped gables. The short circular-section tower has a corbelled walkway and triangular windows. The foghorns were added between 1895 and 1897. The light was built by John Clarkson (engineer); Kermack and Gall built the tower, while Smith and Stevenson installed the oil lantern which was first lit on 11 August 1797. About 1900, it was lit with acetylene. A Radar beacon was installed about 1931. The lenses floated in baths of mercury, and were rotated by a clockwork mechanism powered by falling weights. The keepers had to wind the mechanism by hand every two to three hours. Today, the light is fully automated and unmanned and the main light has been replaced by a light on a pole outside the lantern room.

A4404

Character: Fl W 3s 23m 8M
(fl. 0.6s - ec. 2.4s)

EngineerThomas Smith (1752-1815)
assisterd by: Robert Stevenson (1772-1850)

Lat, Lon55°56.537' N, 04°52.724' W

Established11 August 1797
Automated...
Character Flashing White every 3 secs.
Range14.8 km / 8 nM
Tower23 meters
Elevation23 meters above sealevel
Fog horn1895, Discontinued ?

StatusOperationel
Authority...
RemarksCandelpower: 40.000 cd
Cat.B listed - nr: 13820 - 10/06/1971

Cloch Point lighthouse
Cloch Point lighthouse
Cloch Point map
Cloch Point map
References:

xxxxx- xxxxx