Holy Island lighthouses (Inner and Outer light)
The island has a long history as a sacred site, with a spring or holy well held to have healing properties, the hermit cave of 6th century monk St Molaise, and evidence of a 13th-century monastery. An old Gaelic name for the island was Eilean MoLaise, Molaise's Island; this is the origin (via Elmolaise and Limolas) of "Lamlash", the name of the village on Arran that faces Holy Island.Some runic writing is to be found on the roof of St Molaise's cave and a Viking fleet sheltered between Arran and Holy Isle before the Battle of Largs.
The island is now owned by the Samyé Ling Buddhist Community, who belong to the Kagyu school of Tibetan Buddhism. The settlements on the island include the Centre for World Peace and Health, founded by Lama Yeshe Losal Rinpoche, on the north of the island. This is an environmentally designed residential centre for courses and retreats which extends the former farm house. It has solar water heating and a reed-bed sewage treatment system. The approach from the ferry jetty is decorated with Tibetan flags and stupas. On the southern end of the island lives a community of nuns who are undertaking three year retreats.
The remainder of the island is treated as a nature reserve with wild Eriskay ponies, Saanen goats, Soay sheep and the replanting of native trees. The rare Rock Whitebeam tree is found on the island, an essential link in the evolution of the Arran Whitebeam species, Sorbus arranensis, Sorbus pseudofennica and Sorbus pseudomeinichii. These are indigenous and unique to Arran. There is a regular ferry service from Lamlash.Holy Isle, Inner lighthouse (left) The Inner lighthouse on Holy Isle faces the east coast of the Isle of Arran at the south entrance of Lamlash Bay. The lighthouse was built in 1877, engineered by David and Thomas Stevenson. It is locally known as "Wee Donald", though the current lighthouse keepers don't know why anymore. With automation at the beginning of the 20th century, one lightkeeper was made redundant.
At the same time, an oil tank was set up on the pier at Holy Isle. The oil was then pumped to the light house by air pressure where before, oil barrels had to be landed and then rolled to the oil cellar and pumped by hand into the cisterns. In 1977, the Holy Island lighthouses were electrified, fully automated and classified as unattended at the same time. Holy Isle Inner lighthouse is 23 m high and white. In 1894, the lighthouse keepers saved the captain and crew of the "Ossian". The light is obscured from east of 147° and north of 282°.
Holy Isle, Outer or Pillar Rock lighthouse (right) Pillar Rock lighthouse is the youngest of the three lighthouses around the Isle of Arran and was built in 1905 on the southwestern shore of Holy Isle to the east of Arran in Lamlash Bay. It was the Northern Lighthouse Board's first square lighthouse. Together with Holy Isle’s Inner lighthouse, Pillar Rock was electrified in 1977 and operates fully automatic since.
The outer lighthouse, or Pillar Rock, was built in 1905 on the east shore, by David and Charles Stevenson, is also known as Pillar Rock. It had a fog horn and a revolving light that was lit by paraffin. Pillar Rock lighthouse was the first lighthouse built with a square tower and has several rooms inside for the men who worked there. Lighthouse cottages were built to house four families of the lighthouse keepers and a walled garden was made. The lighthouses became automated in 1977, and are now serviced every two weeks by local people living on Arran.
Character: Fl G 3s 17m 6M
(fl. 0.6s - ec. 2.4s)
|Engineer||David Lillie Stevenson (1815-1886)|
|Thomas Stevenson (1818-1887)|
|Lat, Lon||55°30.736' N, 05°04.211' W|
|Character||Flashing Green every 3 secs.|
|Range||11.1 km / 6 nM|
|Elevation||17 meters above sealevel|
|Authority||Northern Lighthouse Board|
Character: Fl(2)W 20s 38m 18M
(fl. 0.5s - ec. 2.0s)
|Engineer||David Alan Stevenson (1854-1938)|
|Charles Stevenson (1855-1950)|
|Lat, Lon||55°31.042' N, 05°03.653' W|
|Character||Flashing(2) White every 20 secs.|
|Range||33.3 km / 18 nM|
|Elevation||38 meters above sealevel|
|Fog horn||2 times in 4 secs. blast ever 90 secs.|
|Fog horn||Discontinued 1987|
|Authority||Northern Lighthouse Board|
|Buddon Ness footage||- Youtube Rockwellmedia(c)|